Sunday, August 17, 2008

The Last Day

I am sitting on my perfectly made bed at the Casa Luna, with a small smirk on my face and a blank comment box mocking me. What can I possibly say right now? There is nothing appropriate to describe such mixed emotions and swirling changes. Tonight is my last night at Luna Nueva, and it couldn't be more....bittersweet.

These past 2 weeks have been a whirlwind of creative expression. Stricken by a desire to give back to my experience, I've been drawing like crazy. I was eventually recruited by Iti and Rebeca to make the jam jar labels for our homemade lubi lubi, carambola (starfruit), and mandarin jam. I couldn't have been more stoked. Deciding on a bright, rainbow theme for the labels, I am proud to say that if you are ever to experience the joy of Luna Nueva jam, you'll get to see my legacy... ;)

I ended this last perfect day, 100% content. Today's weather was the perfect display of "green season" weather: the morning was hot with patchy blue sky, and the afternoon unfolded into a heady thunderstorm. And today I led not one, but 2 tours. I led the first group through the farm and the Sacred Seeds Garden. Then I came back to Luna, promptly downed a glass of water, and headed out with group #2. Good thing I was warmed up- with 14 shiny faces, this was my biggest group ever. I took them on the Rainforest tour and through Sacred Seeds Garden again. I will never tire of the Sacred Seeds. We got back just in time to witness the thunderstorm hit while we downed some fine Costa Rican roasted coffee. I can think of no better way than to end my stay than that: walking through the farm, one last time, making a tribute of gratitude to Luna by educating and sharing with others what I have learned. And let me tell you- it will never, ever get old for me to watch people squirm with the idea of eating a termite. I'd even lead a 4-hour tour through scorching heat if someone promises to gulp down a termite. Priceless.

Here is a quick review of what I have learned these past 10 weeks...

-what is a rainforest and why it is so cool
-what is the dynamic part of biodynamic farming
-the quirkiness of the sloth
-the sheer determination of the army ant
-the tastiness of the termite
-how to manage a hotel (or at least look like I have everything under control)
-how to drive a golf cart(!)
-how to survive if I get lost in the rainforest
-how to tell if a snake is poisonous
-why we should all eat copious amounts of ginger and turmeric
-what is compost and why we like worm poop
-how to pronounce cecropia, katuk, momon chino, and guanabana correctly(and study them intimately)
-how to write a blog (I think I've come a long way since that first one...)
-a few Tai Chi poses
-how to market a hotel through tantalizing, seductive writing
-how to read astrology
-how to answer the phone. In Spanish.
-the alchemy of beer-making
-why some Arizonans support the right to bare arms (an odd conversation with a few inebriated guests)
-how to get 14 people as stoked on leaf-cutter ants as I am
-discotechs in La Fortuna are dubious by nature
-how to walk through a garden, munch on leaves as I pass them, and not poison myself
-how to call a taxi for a man named Woody who is stuck at a bar called "the Chicken" in the middle of a thunderstorm (a hilarious situation)
-why fermentation is swell
- how to be a more conscious person in thought, action, and intenton

So how do I end this tribute to Luna? I am, once again, struggling to express my admiration and gratitude. All I can hope now is to leave here and spread the good news, that a biodynamic ginger and turmeric farm in Costa Rica is doing great things to save this planet. I am also happy in my confidence that when I return to Luna, I'll be welcomed with open arms, hearts, and with one or three ginger cookies fresh and ready for me....

No comments: