Wednesday, July 30, 2008

My mom likes my blog!

Imagine 2 middle-aged gringas, sporting harried capris and perspiring brows, rolling their suitcases onto a sketchy cargo boat. This image of my mother and my dear friend Sally defines my past week of mini-travels through Costa Rica. Out of their element, but enthusiastic and carefree, these two wonderful women came to visit me, bringing laughter, beach adventures, and beautiful memories in their wake.

I had been preparing for my mom's visit for over a month, excited about showing off my newly acquired plant knowledge. When they got to Luna Nueva, Sally and my mom settled right into the laidback beauty of the surrounding rainforest, but met the constant, communal exchange of knowledge with passion as well. Each meal at Luna is held around a long, 20 person dining table, which inevitably brings everyone together in a celebration of fabulous food and brilliant discussion. It was cute- my mom and Sally chatted with Stephen and Iti, telling them how incredible Luna Nueva was, how thankful they are that I am here. My mom also turned to me and shared proud she was of my blog. I made a joke, thanking her, as my mom, for thinking my blog is neat. You gotta love moms and their unconditional support.

Sally and my mom were the ideal guests to take on tours. We had time to go on all three tours through the rainforest, the organic farm, and through the Sacred Seeds Sanctuary. They "oohed" and "aahed" at all the appropriate rainforest statistics and fun animal facts I had ready for them. For instance, I believe that the sloth sighting profoundly impacted them. They were incredulous when I mentioned that a sloth only comes down once a week (the coming down process may take up to 24 hours!) in order to bury a nutrient-rich terd underneath the cecropria tree from which he/she is feeding on. They are mini-farmers, fertilizing their food-source. Also, between the 2 and 3-toed sloth species, 8 different types of moths plant eggs and then feed off of the moss growing on the back of a sloth. Talk about symbiosis. What is more, the cecropia leaves, one of their staple food sources, has mild sedative properties. So basically, sloths are kicking it up in their tree, a bit stoned and livin' the pura vida.

The three of us stayed in rooms at the Casa Sombra. Marveling at the dark woodwork supporting the building (all taken from fallen trees from the nearby rainforest), my mom and Sally loved the clean, woody smell and its classy, thoughtful decor. Before we left for the Pacific Coast a few days later, it goes without saying that I heard a few more "You are so lucky!' and "Let's trade lives" comments. No way Jose.

No comments: