Sunday, July 13, 2008

A mid-morning snack

This morning, I convinced 13 people to eat termites. After watching their squeemish faces gulp down live insects, I couldn't hide my smugness....my work here was done.

When leading groups on the farm trail, I always make a point to stop at the large termite nest and see who is up for a high protein snack. The nest is found at the end of the tour, just before the cocao plantation. Today I lead 2 families, comprised of parents, flighty girls, and macho boys: the perfect specimens. I nonchalantly paused at the tree, waiting for the crew to gather around. Gently brushing off the crumbly outer layer, I heard several gasps from behind as its inhabitants were exposed. Poking my finger into the ensuing chaos, I allowed a few termites go charging up my hand. I then turned back to some uneasy stares, explaining that if a person is lost in the jungle for days, it is possible to subsist soley on vines for water and termites for food. With that, I raised my colonized hand to my mouth, finding the small crunch and woody taste most satisfying. Shocked, the group made a few jokes, saying that they would go home and tell their friends that a crazy, hippy tourguide from Costa Rica wore facepaint (from the lipstick tree) and ate termites. But after a bit of chiding, coaxing, and straight up dares, I had the whole group munching down on jungle termites. The two moms even went back for seconds :)

No comments: