Wednesday, June 18, 2008

As I begin to write my first blog ever, I can't help but become distracted by a jurassic butterfly outside my open-aired window. I marvel at its fierceness as a sudden rain starts to pound the earth. Little moments of wonderment like this have occurred roughly 1000 times since I arrived at Luna Nueva 2 days ago. I have been given the opportunity to stay as an intern at Luna Nueva for 10 weeks, and if the next 68 days or so compare at all to my experience thus far, well, I will be more than stoked. So, I arrived at the airport, unsure of who, when, or where I would be picked up, but was comforted to see a kind Costa Rican man holding a sign with my name on it. Using my rusty Spanish, I introduced myself to Leo and quickly became his good friend for the remainder of the 2 and 1/2 hour bus-ride to the farm. Upon arrival, I could not quell my excitement- the pictures on the website did not even do Luna Nueva justice! (here is where I start to sound like I am selling something because of the necessary clichés…) I was hit by all colors of the rainbow, dynamic architecture, and smiling faces. Stephen Farrell, the farm manager, and Tom Newmark, the CEO of New Chapter. Both welcomed me with open arms to join them for what was to be my first taste of excellent Costa Rican cuisine. I thought to myself “Score! I came just in time for lunch…” The food was not only extremely healthy and tasty, but there was plenty of vegetarian options too. I was not the only guest at Luna Nueva that afternoon; also eating in the main common area were 30 or so employees of the Whole Foods "Whole Body" department in the Southwest Region of CA and TX. After getting a bit settled in, I was introduced to the woman, Guiselle, whom I would be staying with. Her house is quaint and representative of a typical Costa Rican household; I am staying with her mother, her uncle, her husband, and their five year old daughter (who is a fire-cracker). After moving in my things, I went back for dinner and got to know some of the Whole Foods people and realized that I had met several of them before at a New Chapter Probiotic conference with Nancy Angelini. They were all extremely chill people. Exhausted, I passed out by 9:30. All i could keep repeating in my mind was:

I am in frickin Costa Rica!


The next morning, I had the pleasure of meeting Rafael O'campo, a leading ethnobotanist in neotropical plant knowledge. He led me and the Whole Foods group on a tour through the "Sacred Seeds Sanctuary." Me, in a classic college nerdiness, scribbled down notes attentively. The plants are wild: there are over 240 medicinal herbs in the garden! I am making sure I get to know as many as possible while I'm here.
I am making friends quickly here at Luna Nueva. All the workers are completely understanding of my gringa accent and that I have much to learn when it comes to Spanish. I have found that a sweet smile and "no se" works quite well when I have no idea what is going on...
So for now I get to learn the ropes of what is required of a “agro-tourist coordinator.” My main concert at this point is controlling myself and not getting fat off of the incredible food! More soon...

1 comment:

gypsy said...

My beautiful Mara-how I wish I was there with you so we could "attract some muchachos and repel some insectos" together ; ) haha...and I cannot believe you convinced people to eat termites! You sly little tourguide you! What an entertaining blog-but then I would not expect any less from you...I'm sending you love and coconut kisses from Santa Barbara!
-Iona